Graphic designers and creative professionals used to have to put pen to paper to express their ideas and work on design projects. But now, every creative professional should have a tablet for drawing and notetaking.
So to help you decide which tablet with a pen to go for, I’ve scoured the web to find the best note-taking tablet with a pen as well as touchscreen notepad. Here’s my review of the top tablet with a keyboard or with a stylus pen, as well as the best medium or large tablets to meet all your creative needs!
How To Choose the Best Tablet for Note Taking and Drawing
In the past 10 years, technology has advanced significantly, and it’s now possible to do all your creative work on a professional-grade tablet.
Not only are tablets lightweight, portable, and more affordable than ever before, but you can edit, save, and share your work easily. There’s a wide range of tablets with stylus available for every operating system.
There are certain features to look for when buying. You should check out the screen size and the active area, which is the space where you’ll be drawing. You’ll need the largest and the biggest screen tablets for your drawings and graphic artworks.
Another factor to consider is the screen resolution and a multi-touch capability. For drawing and graphic design projects, you’ll need a super high-resolution model and a very responsive stylus so you can let your creativity flow.
If you’re looking for a tablet for note-taking, you might not need such a high level of pressure sensitivity and pen tilt recognition. Instead, you’ll want to know that your chosen one is powerful and fast enough to run all your apps. Size and weight are also important if you’re going to carry your tablet around with you and use it on the go.
Your budget will also be a factor in choosing the best tablet for your needs. You’ll find that there is something for every budget, including some great, affordable options. Just remember that the cheaper tablets won’t offer the same range of professional features that high range models provide.
The Reviews: The Best Tablet With Stylus for Note Taking and Drawing
Here’s my rundown of the best tablets for all your drawing, design, and note-taking needs! From high-end options to affordable, you’re sure to find the right model for you in my list of the best tablets around right now.
High Range Options:
The Apple Ipad Pro is one of the slickest and most responsive models on the market. With incredibly powerful features, a super-high-resolution screen, and a user-friendly interface, you can’t go wrong with the Apple Ipad Pro for your creative projects.
It’s also the best tablet for taking handwritten notes or drawing when you pair it with the Apple Pencil. Harnessing the best of modern technology, the Apple Pencil is a fantastic tablet pen that gives you an exceptional level of control and responsiveness over your designs, notes, and illustrations.
- Large screen size
- Impressive, crystal clear resolution
- Very powerful
- The Apple Pencil feels just like a real pen
- Can have two apps side by side
The Microsoft Surface Pro is, without a doubt, the best tablet with for Windows users. With improved battery life and a powerful processor, you can run all your favorite Adobe apps without any delay or lags. If you’re looking for a product that you can use for all your creative projects and that can double up as a laptop, this one’s for you.
- 7th generation Intel Core i7 Processor
- Up to 13.5 hours of battery life
- Very lightweight at just 1.69 lbs
- Superfast processor
- Use with Surface Pen, a clean, precise pen with 4,096 pressure points
- Best note-taking tablet/laptop combo
The HP Envy is the best tablet with a keyboard and stylus for drawing and note-taking on the go. Running on Windows 10 and with a large touchscreen for drawing, you have everything you need to get creative, no matter where you are.
The HP Envy x2 is exceptionally light and portable, and with 22 hours of battery life, you won’t have to worry about charging it when you’re out and about.
This tablet comes with a stylus and keyboard included, so you don’t need to buy anything else.
- You can get online even when there’s no Wifi around thanks to the built-in 4G LTE
- Long battery life: Up to 22 hours of video playback
- The HP Digital Pen is included in the price
- Great value for money
- Large touchscreen – 12.3”
The Microsoft Surface Book 2 is among the best tablet for taking handwritten notes and working on graphic design projects. Equipped with a detachable keyboard and compatible with the excellent Surface Pen, it’s suitable for all your creative needs.
Powered by an i7 Processor, this tablet can handle anything you throw at it. Download all the apps you need – this model won’t crash on you.
With 4 different modes of use, you can easily work in the style you prefer. Flip the screen back to draw, sketch, and take notes comfortably, turn the screen around to give presentations, or use it as a normal laptop.
You won’t go wrong with the Microsoft Surface Book 2 – it’s among the top tablets for note-taking and graphic design.
- A super-fast, powerful
- 8th generation Intel Quad-Core i7 Processor
- Long battery life
- High resolution on the PixelSense 15” Touchscreen
- 4 different modes (Laptop, Studio, Tablet, and View), so you can use it whichever way works best for you
Wacom products are among some of the best tools out there for graphic designers and creative professionals. Whether you want a tablet with a pen for note-taking, designing, or drawing, you’ll love the Cintiq. At 21 inches, you have a huge screen with a high resolution that will be sure to wow you.
Specially designed with artists in mind, the amazing features tick all the boxes. From pen tilt recognition to ExpressKeys, impressive pen sensitivity, and multi-touch functionality, the Wacom Cintiq is worth the investment.
- The Wacom Grip Pen is included and boasts 2,048 levels of pen pressure
- Fantastic 22-inch widescreen display
- Incomparable visual experience
- You can easily create a wide range of brush and pen styles with the pen
- Combines seamlessly with all your favorite apps and software
Can’t afford to blow your savings on one of the more expensive graphic design tablets yet? Don’t worry – there are some great, affordable options out there too. If you’re looking for a cheap drawing tablet with screen, here are the top recommendations for the best tablet with a stylus:
The Acer Chromebook R 11 is an excellent, affordable option for a touchscreen tablet/laptop. You can use it on the go thanks to the long battery life, and with a 10 point multi-touch screen and bright display, it’s perfect for drawing and note-taking.
- Low maintenance – automatic updates and built-in virus protection
- Back up all your files with internal storage plus 100GB of Google Drive space
- 1366 x 768 resolution with backlighting and a multi-touch screen capability
- Multiple modes (laptop, tent, tablet) so you can use it anywhere
Quite simply, this Samsung Galaxy tab a with s pen is the best note-taking tablet for anyone shopping on a budget. You can use the S pen for both writing and drawing, thanks to the ample 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity. When you’re finished, the pen tucks away inside the tablet, so you’ll never risk losing it.
- Very lightweight and easy to carry around with you at just 1.22 pounds
- Large screen with a small bezel for the ultimate viewing experience
- You can add a MicroSD card for extra storage space
- Download all the note-taking apps you need from the Google Play Store
- The long battery life of 13 hours will last you all-day
- Affordable and allows you to take great handwritten notes
Another brilliant Android tablet with a pen, if you’re looking for a similar cheaper tablet as galaxy tab 2 for drawing or note-taking, this one should be high on your list. The crystal clear visuals and the responsive S Pen will win you over, making this the best Android tablet with a stylus at this price. In fact, it might even be the best Android tablet for drawing on the market right now!
- Generous 10.1-inch display screen makes drawing and note-taking easy
- Bright, realistic colors are ideal for creative projects and graphic design
- With both a rear and front camera, you can also take some great snaps with this tablet
- The HD display and 1920×1200 resolution make this tablet a joy to work on
- The S Pen is precise, multifunctional, and easy to use
You can doodle right onto a standard sheet of paper. When you’re finished, the Wacom Bamboo Slate Smartpad will save your ideas into clever digital files. Then, you can access, edit, and share online them at the touch of a button.
You can even use the free Wacom Inkspace app to transform your handwritten notes into text. This will take your digital note-taking to the next level, allowing you to export them, edit them, share them, and more.
- Draw on a piece of paper and convert your designs to digital files by pressing a button
- Save your drawings and edit them online
- A great combination of the old and new, analog and digital – the best of both worlds
- Store your notes online and find them easily when you need them
- Transform your notes from handwritten to text form quickly and at no cost with Wacom Inkspace app
Another great Wacom drawing tablet, you can draw with ease on this specially designed model. With a high-quality, exceptionally sensitive pen included, you’ll be all set to get scribbling straight away.
Designed for ease of use and streamlined experience, the smart features like the multi-touch screen and the pen side switches make this a surefire hit.
- The Pro Pen 2 is spectacularly responsive: 8,096 levels of pressure sensitivity
- Superior drawing features include tilt technology and lag-free tracking
- The multi-touch surface and programmable shortcuts allow you to streamline your
- Small and portable – perfect for slipping in a bag and taking anywhere with you
Now you’ve been inspired to get drawing and writing on your tablet, so why not get one for your kids too? This budget 10-inch android tablet will keep your children entertained for hours and is small and lightweight enough to pop into a bag and take with you on journeys and outings. Kids will love the colorful screen, and it gives them a chance to let their imagination go wild!
- A great drawing tablet for kids to get started on
- Extremely long battery life can last up to a year
- Children (or adults) can draw, play around, experiment, and start all over again
- Hard-wearing and easy to use – erase with just one button
- Large 10-inch,colorful screen
Here are the best stylus to turn your android device into a graphic tablet. Depending on your tablet, you can choose a Lenovo stylus, hp stylus pen, as well as Samsung Galaxy Note Pen.
The Best Tablet with Stylus – My Conclusions
Tablet technology has come a long way, and there are some awesome high-end and budget options for note-taking tablets on the market. Any of the above-recommended products will serve you well and meet all your needs, whether you’re intending to use your tablet for creative projects or for taking notes.
The best tablet is portable and lightweight, has a great screen resolution, and is powerful enough to run your favorite apps. All the tablets on this list tick the right boxes, and there’s something for everyone, no matter what your budget is.
Everyone should have a handy little tablet, whether you use it for note-taking, drawing, graphic design work, or just surfing the web. Grab one of my top recommended tablets, and you won’t regret it – you’ll just wish you’d invested in one sooner!
Hey, I’d love to hear what you think about this post. If you’ve got a question or an opinion on this, leave a comment at the bottom.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, Proactive Creative may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please read our disclaimer for more info.